On what we’d planned on being a day of installing additional anchors, the rain had other ideas. We did manage to get the curve nearest Maldon completed, this is a job well plug away at on and off for some time until we reach Muckleford.
Once the rain got the better of us, we headed to Castlemaine, were we refitted some now inflated tyres to the excavator.
Before drying out in the loco shed spreading some ballast along A road.
This whole siding still needs a considerable lift and tamp, we’ll save that for another raining day, however it’s now nicely rocked up and ready to go.
Given we’ve got a few volunteers away for Friday, it’ll be used as a lineside drain clearing day, given the forcasted rain over the next week. This is largely just digger work, so no formal planned workday.
Following the track inspection last week, we found quite a few small faults, mainly of the tight gauge variety, that needed rectification.
Why track gauge tightens rather than widens, as the sleepers begin to deteriorate is open to many theories, however this is typically our experience, especially on the straight track.
It’s easily remedied by cross boring (unspiking one rail, drilling new holes to correct gauge and then respiking), however it is only a short term fix as it’s an overall sign the sleepers are nearing the end of their life.
Today’s sizable gang certainly got stuck in and made excellent progress in knocking over a few of the faults, unfortunately there is still many more and that will be the focus of our upcoming workdays, Thursday and Friday we’ll be meeting at Maldon from 8am.