Today’s small gang of 3 had a very successful day.
Lots of marking out first up, using the offset pegs to provide the track location and sleeper spacings made it very easy.
In no time at all it was sleepers dropped out and rails sitting upon them. The rails used here are those recovered from the recent Maclise St. Rebuild.
The rails recovered from Bendigo Rd crossing were the next lot installed on the end of these and the workshop track itself was laid with the rails from Rowe St Crossing. Unfortunately we haven’t got any more 94lb crossings left to rebuild so we’ll have to delve into our stores of 94lb for the bit between the shed and here. We’ve got a few lesser quality lengths, still perfect siding rail but not mainline quality, that we’ll use up in here.
We bolted up as we went, which was quite easy with these nice long bits of rail.
By lunch time we’d laid out 70 odd sleepers and about 60m of rail in each leg.
The beauty with a nice flat roadbed and concrete sleepers is the gauge is held well enough to allow the digger across, which is ideal to help distribute all the jewellery and tweak the sleepers before clipping up. The clearance is relatively tight around here, the bollard will be moved to improve that, but it’s actually no tighter than between any of the tracks and the shed doors. However for curve off the turnout does look good!
By the end of the day we’d clipped up one leg to just this side of the digger, with most of the jewellery dropped out ready for tomorrow’s crew to finish it off.
We’ll be meeting here at 8.30am tomorrow, hopefully completing all the clipping up and finalising the turnout work, ready for ballasting and tamping on Monday.