Another successful day today, with all the concrete sleepers inserted yesterday clipped up by lunchtime.
It’s a nice peaceful activity, the problem becomes distractions from all the funny stories Mick tells!
After lunch, we managed to blow a hose on the tamper (thankfully on the very last squeeze of the job), so instead of moving onto the next section, while we waited for the replacement hose, we tested a few other methods of ballast spreading.
The V cut sleeper worked quite well… until it fell apart about 100m down the track. We’re always keen to find quicker and easier ways to do things. The real issue we’ve got is removing the rock from around the fastenings, we’ve got a few ideas, but need to find enough spare time to try them out.
However the usual bucket method ended up winning the day again, leaving a very respectable result.
After tidying up, we travelled the length marking and removing the fastenings of the failed timber sleepers, only about 10 along here which we’ll deal with first thing tomorrow.
Tomorrow we’ll be meeting on site here (Winters Flat Bridge) from 8am.