The end!

Today saw us complete our 1 in 3 resleepering project from Muckleford to Midland Hwy.

It was all fairly standard, however we have actually used full profile concretes here, as at the time of dropping out they were all we had left.

To compensate for the extra thickness we lifted the track higher in the lifting pass and just to make sure they would fit we got Mal to polish them up!

Just after lunch time the 100th was in and clipped up! Essentially completing this project.

The extra lift has left us a bit light on for ballast here, so before trains resume we will do a ballast drop.

A few 80lb rails left over from when the curve was re-railed were dragged down towards the bridge ready for insertion at some future date. While the old 94lb from Midland Hwy prior to rebuilding was moved to assess it’s condition for reuse in a yard or disposal.

Overall the job and the project as a whole has completely changed our little railway into a significant and lasting peice of infrastructure! It’s happened in an amazingly short time, less than 2 years.

Tomorrow we’ll be working on dropping out sleepers between Muckleford and Castlemaine where the remaining timber sleepers have failed. Meeting Maldon at 8am.

More Concretes

Another successful day today, with 17 timber sleepers replaced and 52 more concretes installed.

We’ve even dropped out the next 70 odd ready for insertion hopefully next week.

We’re really on the home straight for this project now, with only this short section left to get us through to Midland Hwy. It’s been a massive effort but certainly a very worthwhile one, with the real benefits going to become apparent when it’s time to re-rail.

Concrete Sleepers

Another successful day today, with all the concrete sleepers inserted yesterday clipped up by lunchtime.

It’s a nice peaceful activity, the problem becomes distractions from all the funny stories Mick tells!

After lunch, we managed to blow a hose on the tamper (thankfully on the very last squeeze of the job), so instead of moving onto the next section, while we waited for the replacement hose, we tested a few other methods of ballast spreading.

The V cut sleeper worked quite well… until it fell apart about 100m down the track. We’re always keen to find quicker and easier ways to do things. The real issue we’ve got is removing the rock from around the fastenings, we’ve got a few ideas, but need to find enough spare time to try them out.

However the usual bucket method ended up winning the day again, leaving a very respectable result.

After tidying up, we travelled the length marking and removing the fastenings of the failed timber sleepers, only about 10 along here which we’ll deal with first thing tomorrow.

Tomorrow we’ll be meeting on site here (Winters Flat Bridge) from 8am.

Concrete Sleepers

A fairly successful day today, with 140 concrete sleepers inserted under the track, completing the program up to Winters Flat Bridge.

Tomorrow and Friday will be here clipping up these sleepers and hopefully making a start over the other side of the bridge. Meeting near Winters Flat Bridge from 8.15am.