Rail Recovery

Well after all the work recently undertaken at Castlemaine, we’ve been let out for good behaviour so we’re back into rail recovery.

A few rails have been moved today, with tomorrow being the first official day of works resuming.

Tomorrow, we’ll meet Maldon at 8am, then from 8.30am near Godrey’s Ln Yapeen.

We did it

Today was very successful, it was pretty full on and long but we’ve got plenty to show for it.

We began by hanging the last doors on the loco shed, and for some reason we brought all of our toys up along the new track to the shed, just because we could.

All the doors are now hung, a big step in the project. This shot also shows just how nicely the track has come up.

And as promised… A headlight from within the shed.

We did it! It’s not the biggest project we’ve undertaken, but has certainly taken a lot of effort and has all been crammed into a very short space of time. Congratulations to everyone who has helped us along the way.

The centre door is almost fully complete. Its fancy top latches and bottom bolts have been installed, at this stage we’ve just install temporary tubing into the ground to take the bolts as it’s likely all that will end up as concrete in the near future.

The latches and bolts work perfectly and should prove much less hassle than the latches on the carriage shed doors.

And the rail bollards for these doors have been installed also, just some catch chains need fitting for keeping them open.

The day also involved loading all the stacked rail and palletised fastenings onto the wagons, so the whole site is looking very tidy and it’s beginning to look like a usable depot.

Anther extremely successful week and hopefully plenty more of those to come as from Monday, we’re back into Rail Recovery.

Loco Shed

Well the track is now done! A final lift and pack has brought this little bit of track to life, it looks stunning.

We’ll release a more exciting final shot tomorrow, with doors hung and maybe even a headlight poking through the doors….

Today was very success, with another project off the list.

We had a good amount of spare time in the afternoon, so we went like crazy tidying up the great mess that still remains up the north end of the yard, which after the scrap steel is gone, will now look a million times better.

Tomorrow will be our final day at Castlemaine for a while, hanging doors and tidying up the stacks of rails etc… Meeting at Castlemaine from 8.15am

Castlemaine Stuff

Well the greatly awaited fitting of the doors is well underway. Yesterday saw the West Track of the loco shed doors hung. Temporarily secured shut by some clever ratchet strapping.

Today’s effort included hanging the East Track doors. They’re actually quite easy to hang, it’s getting them in their precise location that takes the effort, once there though, a quick zap with the welder and they’re there to stay. The center doors will be later this week once the track work (ballasting) is complete.

The main task of today’s gang was the removal and breaking up of rails beside the loco shed. This area is earmarked for a workshop and it’s always much easier to do the earthworks without having rails in the way.

By close of the play the area has been cleared of strings of rail and any related debris.

The pile of rails are about our only 60lbAS type rails, other newer branchlines around the state were laid in this greatly improved version of 60lb, but a small section of Castlemaine yard was about all we inherited.

We have carefully broken up all the remaining 60AS all the way to Walker Street and stacked it ready to be loaded onto wagons for eventually re-use in the historical Maldon yards.

It’ll be used to replace the very poor 60lbD that the yard is currently laid in, without loosing the branchline appearance of our historic yard (one day, when we eventually get some spare time).

This pile is everything else lifted today, mainly 60lbD in various lengths and states of health, which will be loaded onto wagons and taken away from Castlemaine.

Tomorrow will see the ballast for the loco shed track delivered and distributed, with Thursday’s gang (meeting from 8.15am at Castlemaine) undertaking the final tamping, lifting and tidying up.