Bridge Pile

Yesterday saw the first pile for 2022 installed.

Given this pile is relatively short and doesn’t extend greatly below ground level, we did install termite treatment prior to placing it in the ground.

A nice easy lift in for the little digger, since we’ve changed to using grabs, the days of trying to crane in the piles with chains and guide ropes are gone, taking what was a three or four person job into a one digger and one spotter job.

In and positioned. And no the clamp isn’t actually holding the pile there, it’s just so we could align the angle iron to make sure the holes lined up… which they did thankfully.

And after several hours of shovelling, it was backfilled! The digger did help a little.

As we actually installed this pile in the correct location (the last one was a bit off set), new holes were required and with a nice new sharp drill bit, this was an absolute breeze.

And job done! We did also replace the rear crosshead at the same time, as it was beyond Salvage. Thankfully besides being an insurance policy, the outer crosshesd really doesn’t do very much.

On Tuesday we’ll begin replacing the pile on the other side of the pier. Meeting at Maldon at 8am or at the Bridge from 8.30am.

A few more pics from earlier in the week…

Marking up the pile with the smallest level we could find!

Towards the end of last year, our Yard at Muckleford was used as storage for 2nd hand timber sleepers released out of the Echuca Line Upgrade. The sleepers were destined for other tourist and heritage groups around Victoria and this week saw them loaded up and trucked off to their new homes.

Although we didn’t actually keep or need any of the sleepers ourselves, we are glad we could help the other railways reduce their costs by providing our Excavator for loading and making Muckleford available as a storage area. Hopefully we can help the T&H sector with more material acquisitions like this.

Muckleford Creek Bridge

Well it’s Feb and we’re into bridge work. The first job being the replacement of the two down abutment piles.

The peace and tranquillity of Muckleford Valley was broken once we arrived with the gear to tackle the job.

The first job, was the preparation of the replacement pile, marking it out square and cutting the shoulders.

While all that marking out excitement was going on, excavation around the existing pile was undertaken. We’re now past the point of replacing failed piles and we’re replacing undersized, but otherwise still functioning piles, they’re now getting on for 30 years these and still in good condition, which given their rather narrow diameter is pretty good.

Thankfully once excavated, the sill was found to be in good condition, which reduces the works a little.

Lots of adzing, cutting, planning and drilling and the new pile is ready for installation tomorrow.

They look very pretty all freshly cut, it does seem a shame to go and stick them in the ground.

We’ll also be replacing one of the crossheads while we’re at it tomorrow, as it’s certainly a little worse for wear and best done as part of these works while we’ve got easy access.

Meeting on site at Muckleford Creek Bridge from 8.30am tomorrow.