It’s been a little quieter in the civil branch in the past week.
We’ve still be completing some very necessary and important maintenance however.
Early in the week was lots of maintenance and preparation for upcoming works was completed.
Thursday’s Gang undertook the rather boring and repetitive job of bolt tightening. This was done between Sawmill Road and Boundary Track. While out there the opportunity was taken to tamp up our worst mud holes (currently very dry and hard!) to give better sleeper support and quality of ride.
A bit of boxing up and regulating was also achieved, all with the excavator, removing the need for the back breaking shovel and fork work.
Friday’s small gang worked on replacing the timber edging above the pedestrian subway in Castlemaine. It is not a structural component, simply a ‘Kerb’ to keep the Ballast on the track and out of the subway.
The old timber was really only essence of wood, likely installed back in the 50’s or 60’s going by the fasting used and the fact that they were concreted into the surrounding structure! It was an interesting job, very different that track or bridge work. Just another of the many things our Civil Gang get up to.
After all the excitement of getting the rolling stock into 5 siding, today saw a much less glorious but overall much more important job finally tackled.
After being installed about 3.5 years ago, 4 siding at Castlemaine received some ballast but was never lifted or lined.
So today with a small crew we lined the ballasted track, lifted to remove the rollercoaster appearance and regulated the ballast to give a very neat and tidy finish.
We’ll be back at Castlemaine in a fortnight’s time, lots of cleaning up to do following our recent projects, so please come along and lend a hand.
Today we prepared 40 more 80lb rails for re-railing.
With our new grab it has made moving the rails around a fraction of the job it was previously.
While the rails are being drilled and or cut you can see the excavator sorting rails. Here Rolf & Malcolm are drilling holes in the end of a rail (for fishplate bolts)
We finished the rails sorting, cutting drilling and loading with time to spare, so we spent some time straightening a big kink in the platform road at Muckleford.
We even had time to do a spot of lifting and tamping of some subsidence in 2 road.
Tomorrow will see these rails dropped out at curve 16 to enable us to complete the curve re-railing.