Today we put in our first timber replacement concrete sleeper, we’ve got others on the railway around Castlemaine but this was the first put into track as a timber replacement.
It is very much an experiment, to see if our axel loads and lower ballast profile can support them.
It was relatively easy to insert and install, so fingers crossed.
Today was spent getting ready for our next area of re-railing, the short straight on the UP side of Pipeline Xing.
Weather permitting we’ll be into this job on Thursday and Friday, any help is always greatly appreciated.
Our new grab has again proved it’s worth when it comes to putting on rail anchors.
The grab, when angled, can punch a hole under the rail through the ballast to make knocking on the anchors much easier.
A bit more flail mowing today.
This time attacking the years of gorse growth between Maclise and Rowe Streets in Castlemaine.
Well today we made a bit leap towards the 3rd road in the shed by dragging in the rail and laying out the sleepers.
We’ve gone for steel sleepers, hopefully with a spring clip (E clip or Pandrol clip) fastening. We’re using this section to experiment in using steel, as it may prove an excellent method through more of the yard as the new developments progress.
We’ve been out and about again, this time re-sleepering over at the Ballarat Tramway Museum.
The sleepers replaced were concentrated around 6 & 7 roads outside the shed, with a few spot replacements around the yard.
The pics show the work as it progressed.
There was also some tamping, lifting and levelling around the depot to remove a few dips.
Today was the relaying of 4 Rd at Maldon.
Still some ballasting, lifting and tamping to go but otherwise all done.
While we were at it we replaced the old broken rails at the end of the turnout.
Still a bit of tidy up to do next week.